Monday, March 21, 2011

Review - Linger

Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I have just finished reading Linger by Maggie Stiefvater, which is the second book in Maggie’s Wolfs of Mercy Falls series. It is written from the perspective of four different characters, which I love because it really lets you get to know the characters and the way they feel and think. It also lets you look at the different sides to each event and get more insight about why they happened. I love the introduction of the new wolves, especially Cole who is totally swoon worthy, despite his self loathing. Cole and Isabel’s relationship brings something new to the book, which it really needed because I definitely found the beginning a little slow and was beginning to get tired of Sam and Graces relationship. Isabel is a great character; she just does not give a dam about anyone else and is very straight to the point and not afraid to say that she feels. I love that, none of this tip toeing around people.



I found it hard to believe the reaction from Grace’s parents since in whole series they have been portrayed as distant parents, who are more interested in their own lives then looking after their daughter. I think in life if parents were like that then they would be way less dramatic over a teenage relationship then these too were. Also I find it hard to understand how Grace went from not changing into a wolf due to her extreme heat exposure too suddenly now at the age of 17 becoming sick and needing to change into a wolf. Why has Sam not had this reacon after his Meningitis fever? Or will he have this reacon in a few years like Grace’s delayed reaction? I really cannot fathom how it works.



Despite the books flaws I adore Maggie’s beautiful writing. I love the musical elements in the book and how Sam’s feelings about situations always get put into song lyrics. I am also a huge poetry fan, so the addition of the poetry that Sam often reads is nice. Although I must say unusual for a young guy to be a poetry lover, but stranger things have happened. One of my favourite lines in this book is “Grace, suddenly motivated, stepped into the studio, following the scent of caffeine like a rat after the Pied Piper.” Maggie seems to effortlessly pull out many of these lyrical lines.

I love how the book breaks the mould with its green coloured writing which matches the green cover. The first book was the same matching the blue cover with blue writing. I just thought this was a nice touch.



All in all I am looking forward to the next book especially since Linger ended on such a cliff-hanger moment! I give this book 4 stars, mostly due to the fantastic writing rather than the plot.



XO
Meg


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...