Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Sparknotes, Romeo and Juliet

Spark Notes NO FEAR SHAKESPEARE Romeo and Juliet (SparkNotes No Fear Shakespeare)Spark Notes NO FEAR SHAKESPEARE Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Woohoo! just finished reading Romeo and Juliet. Ah such a sacrifical love. I wish men these days were as romantic as Shakespeares characters. Not that killing yourself for love is the right road to take, it would just be nice to have someone scale a wall to climb into my window and declare their love for me. Phil actually did jump in through the window last night when I called out Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo!, but he hardly had to scale any large walls. And then he proceeded to directly leave the room without so much as giving me a peck on the cheek. Ah men these days.

Anywho, so im not going to review Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, because I feel it is so great that it cannot be reviewed. I mean if shakepeare didn't do an amazing job why would we be taught his stuff at high school?
What I am going to review is this particular copy of Romeo and Juliet.

I picked up this book from my local library because I really love shakepeare and hadn't read this play since high school so wanted to refresh my memory. But i remember back to when i last read it, and most of you will agree I think,(either that or i'm just really daft, which I may well be..) when it comes to reading shakepeare quite often you think he means one thing but he really means something quite different.

Well this addition of the play has the orginial text on the left hand page then on the right hand page the modern english translation of what shakepeare is really meaning when he say's eg: Is she a Capulet? O dear account! My life is my foes debt. The book is by Sparknotes, who have made modern english translations alongside the orginal works for many many differnt books. All I can say is I wish I had this book when I  was at high school because it would have made life sooo much easier! I love it! Now I know exactly what Shakespeare meant and can understand better the themes and conflicts.

Spark notes actually have a website,on it you can find all the different books they have on offer, you might just find a translation for a book that you struggled with at high school. I recommend this book wholeheartedly, especially for students.

Now I am going to move on to reading The book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern. Which if you have been following me for awhile you will know I have blogged about this being a new release this year. And I actually brought the book a few months ago with a voucher I got at christmas but haven't quiet been able to get round to devouring it yet. So watch out for my review soon!


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...